Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Radical self love

Radical Self Love Bootcamp!
Radical self love


You all know Gala Darling. Those who don't, read her website and you will fall in love with her. At least, I did. I first discovered her when I was reading up on the web about Filofaxes and she has done one fabulous post about it! (Btw, anyone has Kris Atomic's post about her Filofax bookmarked? I still want to read that, but I can't find it anywhere!)

I've been reading about her Radical Self Love since I started following her blog. But here's a bit of a story behind the idea of joining the Radical Self Love bootcamp.

I've never been the confident type and with my recent weight gain (because I quit smoking), I feel like a fat cow. There, I said it. Sometimes it's easier to be blunt on the internet than to my fantastic fiance. I have been struggling with my weight since I hurt my back, back in 1998. Because I literally couldn't move for about 4 months, the only thing that I could enjoy was eating. And I did a lot of eating. Since that time, I have struggled with food. I love food, I love healthy food, but I also love bad foods, like chocolate, crisps, pizza, chips, and so on. I have never been the type that knows when to stop so I can eat a whole bar of chocolate at once.

Since I quit smoking, I gained 10 kilos and that's been hard. I don't fit in my old clothes and I don't feel happy with my body. I have been going to a dietician since April, have lost 10cm around my waist, but no weight loss. The fysiotherapist that helps me train to lose weight is very proud of me and the last time I saw my dietician, she was proud of me too. Centimeters mean more than kilos, they both say. I should agree, but I can't, yet.

My lovely fiance is very supportive (though he has a love for bad food too, and I'm easily talked into having those bad foods), and he regularly says he's proud of me. My friends, family and coworkers all tell me they see how much weight I've lost, and how proud of me they are. Why can't I feel the same? I work out 4-6 times a week, and eat healthily most of the times.

And here's where Gala Darling comes in the picture. In order to love myself for who I am (the lovely girl that everyone thinks I am, not the fat cow), I need to invest some time in myself. I have a hard time just spending time with just myself (I can be alone perfectly, but can I be honest to myself, spending time with just myself and my thoughts and not the tv on, or reading or spending time online, nope). I want to be able to love myself and I need help with that.

I have read some posts about Radical Self Love and when Gala announced she was going to do a bootcamp, I had to think about it. Do I really want to start going through that time again? Because it will be hard, but I know I will feel better when I'm done. I have now signed up and will be starting boot camp October 1st.

As part of the preparation, I will be doing some things Gala wrote about on her website, including, and especially this:
"Spend some time alone this coming week. I implore you to do this, even if you have to cancel a social outing in order to make it happen. Learning to get comfortable with who we are is one of the must crucial parts of radical self love! Close your laptop, take off your headphones, & turn off your phone. Just hang out with yourself. Go for a walk. Meditate. Go out & get more familiar with your city! Go & do something you really want to do: maybe go to an art show, or see a movie no one else wants to see! Eat lunch at the raw vegan place all your friends think is weird. Go to a festival & smile at strangers."

You can read about the boot camp here and here you can find more posts about Radical Self Love.

I will be posting more about this once I've started. Who is going to join me?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!!!

    That sounds a lot like something I did a few years ago...and *may* want to do again...

    Gonna go try and read up on it!! (and then maybe join you, even though that is *the* worst time of year for me to try and start *ANYTHING*

    Love ya!!!
    Allis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting concept!
    Curious to read how you'll get on with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. I will be supporting you! And on another note I loved the post you did for Imy's world :-)

    ReplyDelete