Thursday, April 5, 2012

Book review: The thing about being thin

As you may have noticed, I'm reading a lot of books on self love, health and spirituality.

I don't know how I stumbled upon the website of Sui Solitaire and her book "The thing about being thin".

This is not a self-help book, but as quoted from her website: "This book is for anyone who’s ever felt like they weren’t good enough.This book is for anyone who’s ever felt like their body was “wrong” in some way".

I've never felt comfortable in my own body, really feeling like I wasn't good enough. I'm plus size and I've always felt the pressure of being thin. If I was thin, I would be perfect. Slowly but surely I'm starting to realise that this is not true. It's a rocky road, with a lot of ups and downs, but reading books like this is helping.

Here are some quotes from the book that really hit home for me:

"How much bigger could our lives be if we stopped spending so much time dwelling on the size of our bodies?"

"Fat is just a word, but it's not a word we can use to describe how we feel".

"We spend our time thinking more about the number on the scale than about the number of people we affect positively every day".

And this one made me laugh: "BMI: Bullshit Measure by Idiots".

I can quote almost the whole book, but I'd recommend you read this too. If we all start to think like this, maybe we can change the fashion industry, one model at the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment