Wednesday, May 23, 2012

I quit sugar: how I do it.


After reading both the I quit sugar program and cookbook (my reviews can be found here and here, and buy the e-books here and here) , I decided to do a post on how I benefit from the no sugar.

I'm not as strict as Sarah Wilson, as in the program she quits fruit as well during the 8 weeks. The only sugar I've quit is added sugar. I still eat natural sugars, so I haven't quit fruit, honey and jam (but I don't eat much  of them anyway).

So, while I still eat fruit, 90% of the time, I eat food without sugar. That means no sauces with sugar added (that is a lot), I changed from white pasta/white bread to whole weat pasta and bread, my breakfast is either a slice of bread or a whole weat cracker with either honey, jam or organic (no sugar added) peanut butter. I also crave a lot less cookies or chocolate. If I crave chocolate, I go for extra dark or those with stevia added (I found that on in the organic shop near me, I don't know if it's available world wide. You may want to do a search on that). I normally drink my coffee with sugar, but I've changed that to stevia (and even when I occasionally do have sugar in my coffee, I find it too sweet).

Since I read the e-book, I've changed little bits in my lifestyle, plus I started working out more. I eat more nuts and I add chia seeds and flax seeds to my smoothies, and generally eat healthier.

If you have read the IQS e-book, you know that fruit juices aren't all that good. A glass of apple juice contains as much sugar as a glass of coke, and that is 10-12 teaspoons. When you read it like that, it's scary.

When you quit soda or fruit juice, it can be hard at first. What to drink instead? Why not add a splash of lime or lemon juice to your water to spice it up? Add some cinnamon to your coffee or tea, or drink coconut water or coconut milk instead.

When you're craving for a snack, eat some nuts. You can eat activated nuts or regular ones. Or drink some water. Sometimes when you're craving a snack, your body really needs water.

I really benefit from this lifestyle, because my migraines are almost gone, I have more energy and less slumps and I feel less bloated. And because I drink more water, my skin looks amazing. I do have set backs occassionally, but in general I do okay. It also helps that I feel better when I don't eat a lot of sugar. 

The only thing that I want to change is baking. I love baking, and I need to change my recipes so I can keep enjoying the cupcakes, muffins and pies without sugar. If you have any recipes without sugar, please let me know in the comments!

Have you read the IQS e-book and cookbook? Are you planning to change your lifestyle?

4 comments:

  1. I don't think I could do without, so... very admirable :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard, because there is sugar in almost everything, but since I feel better without it, I don't think it's too difficult. It's just a hassle.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about quitting as well, just for a month maybe. I don't drink coffee, but eat to much dark chocolate. It is my only vice really, but I can feel it's not good for my body. I couldn't do the no fruit thing either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you eat 70% chocolate, its not that bad! But good idea on trying it for a month! Let me now How it goes!

      Delete