Saturday, January 12, 2013

Book review J.K. Rowling - The casual vacancy



In Pagford, Parish council Barry Fairwater dies and leaves a casual vacancy in the council. Barry Fairwater affected many people around Pagford and possibly also the decision to keep the drug clinic or not.

In the book, we read about all those lives that were connected to Barry Fairwater. Because there are so many characters involved in the book, I felt that it was too much in the beginning. It took me to almost half of the book to understand who was who and what their relationship to Barry was.

The book felt dragging to me and I couldn't figure out what the book was about. About 75% in, I finally figured it out and wanted to finish it to see how it ends. But that was a dissappointment as well.

I loved the Harry Potter series so much, that I had great expectations for this book as well, but sadly they didn't come true. I only finished it because I hate leaving books unfinished, but I won't recommend it, really.

Have you read this book? What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. I did consider looking at it, but the price over here was so high. By the time I saw it at a reasonable price and read the back I wasn´t convinced enough to check out other reviews (but no doubt would have done eventually). As yours is the first review I have read, may I thank you for your honesty, and I can only sympathise that you suffer from the same problem as me - even if I´m not enjoying a book I just have to finish it... I´m currently reading The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out if the Window and Disappeared. If you haven´t already read it I can recommend it. It´s unusual, and is full of historic references, and I am really enjoying it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will write your recommendation down, it sounds like a grat book!

      Delete
  2. I've just finished The 100 year old man. What a strange little story but I enjoyed it. Read the first few chapters of JK Rowling's new book and wasn't happy enough to read any more either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to add, the best book I've read is Under the Dome by Stephen King, it's not a horror but oh my I couldn't put it down. Read the first few chapters free on the Kindle App and you'll see what I mean

      Delete
    2. I've started Under the dome, but I havent gotten very far!

      Delete
    3. It's a huge book but very good, I really wanted to know what the dome is.

      Delete
    4. Yes, me too! I will read it someday :)

      Delete