Monday, January 14, 2013

Movie review: The Hobbit

For our 6 month wedding anniversary, we went to see the Hobbit. The weekend before that, we did a Lord of the Rings marathon, as you do!
We saw The Hobbit in 3D Imax and afterwards, I found that I really would've love to see it in a normal theatre. I'm not a fan of 3D movies, because I wear glasses and so I sit in the theatre wearing two pairs of glasses. But also because while some things are great in 3D, others aren't and most of the times it doesn't really add to the movie. 
The Hobbit was also filmed in 2 times as many frames as a normal movie and so the images moved faster than we are used to. This affected me more than I imagined it would. I thought the images were vague or going too fast for me to comprehend and at times I had a hard time following the story. 
The movie itself was fabulous, I loved all the details, the story wasn't too rushed (haha, three movies of one book?). Peter Jackson really is the best director for this movie, because you can see his love for the story in all the movies. 
I haven't read the book, so I can't compare it to that, but the story was great in relation to the Lord of the Rings movies. It was great to see a younger Bilbo and Martin Freeman did a great job. I've always been a fan of him, since he was in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and in Sherlock. He does a fantastic job playing Bilbo. At times it was weird to see the other characters playing their younger selves while the actors have gotten older since Lord of the Rings, especially Gandalf (Ian McKellen). But it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would be. 
Have you seen the movie? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment