Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What I wanna know Wednesday



For this week's What I wanna know Wednesday, I'm proud to have Amanda join us! You may know her blog, but you also may know Chimwemwe, the charity that's also on the Philofaxy blog :) 

What is your name?
Amanda

What’s the link to your blog?
http://paperpensink.blogspot.co.uk/

Why do you blog?
I have always enjoyed reading reviews of stationery – notebooks, pens etc. – from someone who is a stationery afficionada/afficionado. Reviews from someone who isn’t as geeky about stationery as I am can often miss important things. Anyway, I thought that I would start to blog about the things I love – paper, pens and ink – hence the blog. It veered into blogging about filofax and then Mulberry organisers, but I still try and review the stationery I have bought.

What’s always in your fridge/cupboard?
I would like to always have chocolate-covered raisins in the cupboard, but then I would be the size of a house! Usually (and quite dully) I just have bread, milk and the general staples and not have choccy raisins! I know. Not the answer you wanted!

What is the last book you’ve read?
House of Evidence by Viktor Arnar Ingolfsson.

If you have a million dollars/pounds/euros, what would you spend it on?
I would split it and give most of it to Chimwemwe Children’s Centre (www.chimwemwe.net), the charity I helped to set up and have suported for over four years. They work with street children (usually orphans) in Blantyre, Malawi, to help them return to education and be settled safely in a community. We buy them uniforms and school equipment and pay any school fees. We also offer counselling to them and support them to return to their communities where possible – helping them to resolve the issues that drove them onto the streets in the first place (poverty, bereavement and abuse are the commonest causes of the children ending up on the streets). I have just been out to Malawi and seen them all!
Another portion of the money would go to Mary’s Meals (http://www.marysmeals.org.uk/) who provide a meal a day for children in Malawi, at school thereby supporting them in their education. I have seen first-hand the effects of poverty and a lack of education, and how something as simple as a meal at school can have life-changing effects.  I would fund a school feeding-station at the school the kids from Chimwemwe go to.
The rest (and by far the smallest portion!) would be used so that I could leave my job and concentrate on writing and getting published.

What are you proudest of?
Setting up Chimwemwe Children’s Centre.

Do you have any hidden talents?
I can speak a little Chichewa (Malawian)!

Thanks Amanda, for your answers! 
This is the last post I have lined up for What I wanna know Wednesday, sadly. So please e-mail me your answers!

No comments:

Post a Comment