Thursday, November 28, 2013

40 days of walking - the habit


As you may know, I had a burnout a year ago, and since October 2012 I'm at home. From April on, I've been out of a job.

That means my days are long (most of the time I'm up between 7am and 8.30am), I'm spending most of my time alone (going out means spending money), but I also love doing creative things.

All those combined, means I've gained a lot of weight the past year. But I'm also not a fan of going outside if I have to. And there's my personal coach coming in. She does not train me, but helps me be a better version of myself. I've learned a lot, and done a lot of things I didn't like but knew were good for me. Que last week's assignment.

Walk 30 minutes every day. No matter what. Only 30 minutes, but not when you wake up in the morning. Go out without a goal, without appointments, just walk.


This may seem easy to most of you, but for me, it is the hardest thing I've ever done. I'm a hermit. I love being inside. Going outside is one thing, but I really don't like walking. I've tried it a million times, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Today is day 4, I "have" to do this experiment for 40 days, as they say it takes 40 days to create new habits. And maybe then I'll continue walking as it's not a "I have to do this" but it's become a "I want to do this" thing.

We'll see. I'm going to try and keep you all updated!

7 comments:

  1. I am a school librarian and I walk a mile on the track every morning before work which is great. However, on weekends and breaks, I never walk at all.

    I need to get in the habit of walking regardless of where I am. My house is so warm and cozy though. -grin-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well be proud you're already walking every morning!

      This season is just horrible to start walking! It's too cold!

      Delete
  2. Good luck. I love the idea of being outside, and walking etc, but when it comes to physically doing it - meh... Maybe I should join you in the challenge to see if we can motivate each other to keep going... (although as I type this I already have reasons/excuses why I can't do it today, and why it's going to be really tough to fit in around work next week, and how it's snowy and cold outside...) I really need to get my butt moving. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if you started too! Let me know how you're doing. I'm sick at the moment so I've not walked for 2 days!

      Delete
  3. Hey Femke, heel herkenbaar jouw verhaal. Zeker met dit koude weer blijf ik doordeweeks het liefste binnen. Het zou voor mij ook goed zijn om dagelijks 30 minuten te wandelen. Misschien ga ik ook met je meedoen :-). Ik wens je in ieder geval veel succes!
    Groetjes x Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lijkt me leuk! Laat je het weten als je ook gaat lopen? X

      Delete
    2. Dan laat ik het je weten! X

      Delete