Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Dalai Lama in Rotterdam 2014

I thought my blog was live the last time I saw the Dalai Lama, but I guess not. It's been five years since he gave a public lecture in the Netherlands and we were lucky to get tickets for this lecture as well.

As always, the room (even though there are 10,000 people there) is filled with peace and love when the Dalai Lama comes on stage. He jokes about Erika Terpstra (twice!) and manages to embarrass the translator, but his story is the same as always.

Not in a negative way, because he believes in compassion and not judging people. He talked about religion and how that's different to everyone and you should respect that. He talked about science, social media and what he likes to do in his spare time (sleep!).

His regime is pretty impressive. He wakes up at 3am, meditates, analyses, has breakfast, then reads or meditates again, has lunch and goes to bed before dinner.

He joked about how he used to go shopping when he was travelling, but not with money, just to see what items are available.


You can watch the lecture here, if you're interested.

It was an inspiring lecture, but I didn't expect anything less. I have to say, huge compliments to the translator, as she translated what the Dalai Lama said in Dutch, but also translated questions in English or Tibetan for him. Huge props as that is really difficult!

We also got the book "Beyond Religion" (a title made up by the publishers) for free, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm interested in reading more and I think a lot of people can be inspired by the Dalai Lama.

What really struck me was how he said that if we all kept our own square meter clean and nice, the world would be a much better place. Let's all try and do that.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, wonderful!
    I was also very lucky to see the Dalai Lama a couple of years ago in London, & wrote a little bit about it in my guest post here: http://lifeonthelevels.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/friends-filofaxes-and-the-dalai-lama-guest-post-by-anita-lim/

    ReplyDelete